Windows 10 IoT Core Team are excited to announce the public release of Windows 10 IoT Core! With this are bringing the capabilities of Windows 10 to boards like the Raspberry Pi 2. Learn more about this exciting new release in the blog post, "Hello, Windows 10 IoT Core". You can download it now for free to use in your projects.
To celebrate the release, the "Windows 10 IoT Core - Home Automation Contest" is announced in collaboration with http://www.hackster.io/. To participate, build a home automation solution that leverages the power of Windows 10 IoT Core running on Raspberry Pi 2. The two grand prizes are a trip to Maker Faire, New York for a winner from US and to Maker Faire, Rome for a winner from Europe to demo your projects to your fellow Makers. Other prizes include up to $2000 in gift certificates and a free Raspberry Pi 2 kit to the top 100 shortlisted projects!
* See ‘Challenge Rules’ on https://www.hackster.io/challenges/Windows10Automation for more details about the contest.
Thursday, August 13, 2015
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Example to discover information about your Raspberry Pi Board, with GPIO.RPI_INFO introduced since 0.5.10.
import sys import RPi.GPIO as GPIO print(sys.version) print("GPIO.VERSION: " + GPIO.VERSION) print("GPIO.RPI_REVISION (deprecated): " + str(GPIO.RPI_REVISION)) print("") print("GPIO.RPI_INFO:") print(GPIO.RPI_INFO) print("") for keys,values in GPIO.RPI_INFO.items(): print(keys + " : " + str(values))
|Run on Python 2.7.3 + RPi.GPIO 0.5.11|
|Run on Python 3.2.3 + RPi.GPIO 0.5.11|
About This Book
- Construct a two-legged robot that can walk, turn, and dance
- Add vision and sensors to your robot so that it can “see” the environment and avoid barriers
- A fast-paced, practical guide with plenty of screenshots to develop a fully functional robot
If you are a programmer with an interest in building advanced robotics projects using inexpensive hardware and open source software, then this book is for you. Some experience with computer programming and implementing simple mechanical systems is required.
What You Will Learn
- Build a basic biped platform, a servo-based robot that can walk
- Add Six Degrees of Freedom (6DoF) to your robot and make it free to move forward/backward, up/down, and left/right
- Add vision through a webcam so that the biped can "see" the world around it
- Implement path planning so that the biped can move around autonomously
- Add wireless communication so that you can see what the robot is seeing and control the robot from a distance
The Raspberry Pi B2 is an inexpensive embedded processor that provides a high-performance Linux development environment.
This book is a fast-paced guide that will show you how to use Raspberry Pi technology to build a biped robot that can interact with its environment. We start off by explaining the basics of getting your Raspberry Pi up and running, ready to be mounted on your biped platform. After this, you will be introduced to the art of constructing a mechanism for the biped platform. You will then learn to develop a vision system for your robot, as well as a means by which you can control and monitor it. At the end of this book, you will have learned enough to build a complex biped robot that can walk, turn, find its way, and "see" its environment.
About This Book
- Explore the vast opportunities of computer vision with the Raspberry Pi and Python
- Design and develop webcam and Raspberry Pi based applications
- The book features ample screenshots that will offer a play-by-play account on how to implement computer vision fundamentals and applications
This book is intended for novices, as well as seasoned Raspberry Pi and Python enthusiasts, who would like to explore the area of computer vision. Readers with very little programming or coding/scripting experience can create wonderful image processing and computer vision applications with relatively fewer lines of code in Python.
What You Will Learn
- Set up your Raspberry Pi and master computer vision with OpenCV
- Work with images, videos, webcams, the Pi camera, and create amazing timelapse videos
- Blend images and create artistic effects such as image transitioning
- Transform images, change colorspaces, and track objects based on colors
- Use various high- and low-pass filters to remove noise from the image
- Find contours and segments in images and detect edges, lines, and circles
- Install another simple yet powerful library, SimpleCV, and with its help create real-life applications
This book will provide you with the skills you need to successfully design and implement your own Raspberry Pi and Python-based computer vision projects.
From the beginning, this book will cover how to set up your Raspberry Pi for computer vision applications, exploring the basics of OpenCV, and how to design and implement real-life computer vision applications on your own. By sequentially working through the steps in each chapter, you will quickly be able to master the features of OpenCV. In the end of the book, you will also be introduced to SimpleCV, which is another powerful computer vision library for Python. Featuring plenty of coding examples and exercises, this book offers you an unparalleled learning experience.
Friday, August 7, 2015
The Raspberry Pi has opened up a whole new world of innovation for everyone from hardware hackers and programmers to students, hobbyists, engineers, and beyond. Featuring a variety of hands-on projects, this easy-to-understand guide walks you through every step of the design process and will have you creating like a Raspberry Pi pro in no time. You’ll learn how to prepare your workspace, assemble the necessary tools, work with test equipment, and find your way around the Raspberry Pi before moving on to a series of fun, lively projects that brings some power to your plain ol’ Pi.
- Introduces Raspberry Pi basics and gives you a solid understanding of all the essentials you’ll need to take on your first project
- Includes an array of fun and useful projects that show you how to do everything from creating a magic light wand to enhancing your designs with Lego sensors, installing and writing games for the RISC OS, building a transistor tester, and more
- Provides an easy, hands-on approach to learning more about electronics, programming, and interaction design for Makers and innovators of all ages
Thursday, August 6, 2015
Raspberry Pi For Kids For Dummies makes it easy for kids to set-up, operate, and troubleshoot like a Pi pro! Introducing you to Pi through a series of entertaining and inspiring projects, this handy, step-by-step guide shows you how to write computer games, build websites, make art and music, create electronic projects, and much more! From downloading the operating system and setting up your Raspberry Pi to creating art in Tux Paint and designing games with Scratch, everything you need to have fun with Pi is inside!
Raspberry Pi For Kids For Dummies leaves the confusing tech talk behind and explains in plain English how to unleash all the cool possibilities of Pi, like playing Minecraft in Python, using HTML to make a website, managing and customizing your Raspberry Pi, playing music with Sonic Pi, and understanding and playing with the GPIO.
* Teaches the basics of Raspberry Pi in a simple and thorough approach
* Shows you how to zoom around Pi, all while learning valuable programming skills
* Offers tons of exciting projects to keep you engaged as you learn
* Includes instruction on everything you need to troubleshoot Raspberry Pi If you're aspiring computer programmer age 8-18 and want to start having fun with Pi, look no further than Raspberry Pi For Kids For Dummies.
Tuesday, August 4, 2015
About This Book
- Utilize the exciting capabilities of the Raspberry Pi to build unique audio, video, and robotic designs
- Get familiar with the bare essentials of basic programming and hardware tasks on the Raspberry Pi
- Learn the Raspbian OS and its standard applications with the help of this easy-to-follow, quick-reference guide
Programmers new to the Raspberry Pi and novice programmers with little to no experience with micro board computing will find the book useful. A basic knowledge of programming languages in general will prove useful for a better understanding of the topics.
What You Will Learn
- Build your own full-fledged Raspberry Pi hardware and install the Raspbian OS
- Configure the Raspberry Pi development environment and get acquainted with OS configuration and tools
- Build a camera-based project using PiCam and USB cameras
- Build and configure a stereo audio system using VLC
- Explore the Raspberry Pi GPIO to connect to the outside world
- Utilize and explore extensive I2C interface support built into the Raspberry Pi to enhance your system
- Configure remote access and battery power for a mobile Raspberry Pi
- Build a fully functional Raspberry Pi line-following robot using PiCam
The Raspberry Pi is an inexpensive, single-board computer system about the size of a deck of cards. This computer can be configured to use a standard-size keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
The book begins by teaching you how to build and configure a Raspberry Pi development environment.
Next, you will get acquainted with concepts such as connecting USB peripherals for video and image capture, and high-quality audio. Using GPIO peripherals, you will drive LEDs and sense switches and connect SMBUS-controlled peripherals. Over the course of eight chapters, you will gain experience with desktop tools, the shell command line, and Python scripts.
This book includes hands-on projects that involve building a talking clock, creating a camera-based movement detection system, developing an Internet radio, building an RC-servo control program, configuring remote access to a Raspberry Pi, and building a line-following robot.